June 23, 2007

The summer barbeque season has begun

So parliament's on vacation. Just as well, really, since parliament and any laws it passes are apparently irrelevant to the governance of this country.

You know, I was really hoping for a spring election. I'm fed up with the Conservatives governing as though they had a majority, and I'm fed up with the opposition parties for going along with it. Yes, I know, nobody thinks they could win an election right now. And yes, I know, Canadians might suffer a fit of collective insanity and re-elect the Cs. But this is ridiculous.

I confess, I complained as much as anyone about Paul Martin's inability to get anything done with his minority government. So I should be glad that Stephen Harper's getting stuff accomplished. Apart from disagreeing with everything he says and believes, of course. But it would be nice if there were some semblance of consultation and compromise. It would be nice if they just pretended to care what anyone else had to say.

It would be nice if they just acknowledged that parliament as a whole is supposed to be running the country, not just Stephen Harper.

But that may be too much to ask.

No comments: