May 16, 2007

Life is unfair

I've been trying to come up with something intelligent to say about this article from Monday's Globe and Mail, but I just keep coming back to the same thought: how incredibly unfair. This poor woman would have been, it seems to me, an excellent candidate for permanent residency and citizenship (I haven't, of course, seen her file, but no one seems to be saying otherwise). And now she may have to leave, because of something that happened to her here.

If she'd been assaulted in a more conventional way -- mugged and beaten up, say -- and left with a permanent medical condition (not being a doctor, I'm having a hard time thinking of an equivalent, but let's say permanent damage to a major organ, requiring ongoing care), would she still be expected to leave? I honestly don't know the answer.

I do hope the article draws enough attention to the case that Citizenship & Immigration will reconsider. Not that the immigration system can ever be truly fair, any more than life in general can be; but this looks like a special case if ever I saw one.

No comments: