November 29, 2007

It's also like banging your head against a brick wall, over and over again

Watching Ottawa city council talk about transit planning is like watching an eternal game of ping-pong.

  • Expand the O-Train!
  • Cancel the contract!
  • Build a tunnel!
  • Don't build a tunnel!
  • Assess possibilities!
  • Reject the assessment!
  • Buses!
  • Trains!
  • Cars!
So I'm hard-pressed to put much faith in yet another proposal to improve the transit system in Ottawa.

There's no question the transit system needs improvement, especially in the downtown core. And I'm as big a supporter of transit as anybody. I ride the bus, even when OC Transpo's bizarre scheduling and inability to cope with inclement weather* makes it really annoying to do so. I love the O-Train, and wish it went somewhere useful so I could actually ride it.

But I'm getting awfully cynical about transit plans that seem to get scrapped almost as soon as they're proposed. And hearing Alex Cullen on the radio this morning saying Siemans should just hold off on their lawsuit, because hey, maybe there'll be a new contract soon... forgive me, but if Siemans buys that line, they're way more naive than your average moneymaking corporation.

* due, I understand, to the age of the buses and their state of repair

No comments: